Continuing Education

Last month I completed self-study class and test on flood insurance as part of my state's continuing ed requirements.  A 25 question test - took me 10 minutes to complete - grade of 100% - earned 3 hours of continuing ed.





Sunday I completed a self-study class and test on insurance ethics.  Again, this was part of my state's continuing ed requirements.  A 25 question test - took me 12 minutes to complete - grade of 100% - earned 3 hours of CE.


So, I now have 6 hours of continuing ed credits after having spent 22 minutes on the effort.


I spent over $5,000 a year on books, subscriptions, and other educational materials.  I research and write articles on all manner of insurance issues.  I read policies and review other reviewer's materials.  None of this earns me a single CE credit.  I spend 22 minutes and 
$20, and I get 6 hours of credit.


What a screwed up system.  CEs do not protect the public. It just lines the pockets of testing companies, creates bureaucracy, and promotes a tremendous sense of mediocrity in the insurance business.  
I'm no better an insurance person for taking those tests.  I'm no more ethical because I can figure out what answers they want to hear.


(By the way, about halfway through the ethics test I realized that the multiple choice option that was the longest was almost always the right answer.  After I finished, I went back.  If I had just marked the longest answer - without even reading the choices - I would have gotten 24 out of 25 right.)


I'm considering a master's degree in insurance from Boston College.  None of that work will gain me a minute of continuing ed.  I called the insurance department and was told there was no way they would approve college classes automatically.  The college would have to submit the classes AND FILE THE FEES.  Clearly, the state values continuing education! (sic)


There, I now feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...